Web development is a rapidly growing field, with new technologies and frameworks emerging all the time. It can be overwhelming for beginners to know where to start and what to learn. This guide will provide a complete Web Developer Roadmap, covering the essential technologies and skills needed to become an expert web developer.
Web Developer Roadmap
Start with HTML and CSS
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is the foundation of web development. It is the language used to structure and create web pages. A solid understanding of HTML is essential for any web developer. Here are some key concepts to learn:
- Tags: HTML uses tags to define the different elements of a web page. Common tags include headings, paragraphs, images, and links.
- Attributes: HTML tags can have attributes that provide additional information about the element. For example, the src attribute on an image tag specifies the source of the image.
- Structure: A basic HTML document has a head and a body. The head contains information about the document, such as the title, and the body contains the content of the web page.
CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) is used to control the presentation of web pages. It allows developers to separate the structure of the page (HTML) from the design (CSS) and create layouts. Here are some key concepts to learn:
- Selectors: CSS selectors target specific HTML elements to apply styles. For example, a class selector can target all elements with a specific class.
- Properties: CSS properties are used to control the visual elements of an HTML element. For example, the color property can be used to change the text color of an element.
- Layouts: CSS allows developers to create complex layouts using techniques such as flexbox and grid.
Learn a front-end framework
- Components: React and Vue allow developers to create reusable components that can be used throughout an application.
- Virtual DOM: React and Vue use a virtual DOM, which is a representation of the actual DOM. This allows them to efficiently update the UI when the state changes.
- Props and state: React and Vue components can have props, which are properties passed down from a parent component, and state, which is data that is managed by the component.
Learn a Server Side Language
Once you know the front-end very well, you can start learning a server side language. Pick a lanuage which is focused to develop the backend of a web application. For example: GoLang, Node JS, and PHP. All of these are great. Here are some key concepts to know about these languagles:
- Go: Go is a statically-typed programming language that is designed for building web applications and network services.
- PHP: PHP is a widely-used server-side language that is often used with the Laravel framework to build web applications.
Each of these languages has a specific use case. If you want to get into WordPress Plugin Development, you can start with PHP. If you want to build an efficient and highly scalable backend for web applications, GoLang is the language you can choose.
However, I personally recommend learning Node JS. The job market is more stable for this and you can get your foot in the door within a short time.
Learn Rest API
REST (Representational State Transfer) is an architectural style for building web services. RESTful APIs use HTTP methods (such as GET, POST, PUT, and DELETE) to interact with resources. Here are some key concepts you can learn:
- Endpoints: A REST API has multiple endpoints, each of which corresponds to a specific resource.
- HTTP methods: RESTful APIs use different HTTP methods to interact with resources. For example, a GET request is used to retrieve a resource, while a POST request is used to create a new resource.
- Status codes: HTTP status codes are used to indicate the success or failure of an API request. Common codes include 200 (OK), 201 (Created), and 404 (Not Found).
Learn How Database Works
Databases are used to store and retrieve data for web applications. SQL (Structured Query Language) is a standard language for interacting with relational databases. Here are some key concepts you can learn:
- SQL: SQL is the standard language used to interact with relational databases. It is used to create tables, insert and update data, and retrieve data using queries.
- MySQL: MySQL is a popular open-source relational database management system. It is commonly used with PHP and Node.js web applications.
- MongoDB: MongoDB is a popular NoSQL database system. MongoDB stores data in the form of JSON-like documents, which allows for more flexible data modeling and horizontal scaling.
web development is a vast and rapidly changing field, and this web developer roadmap can help you stay up to date in this field. The most important thing is to start learning, practicing, and building projects. As you gain experience and learn new skills, you can continue to expand your knowledge and capabilities.